Wednesday, May 20, 2009

poor baby


so...yesterday culminated with a trip to the children's hospital of philadelphia for dennis and i. on sunday, when tommy and i picked the children up from my parent's house (my mom kept the kids for us saturday night so we could go out. sunday was my birthday), dennis had started throwing up and was running a fever. we got some tylenol in him and got him home with no more vomit. monday he still had a fever, so i took him to the doctor, where i was told he has a stomach virus...that is contagious...try to keep him away from the other kids. that shouldn't be a problem here, we'll just keep him in the sick wing of the house. ha. he did not eat one. single. thing. on monday. he is a 35 pound three year old (to put this in perspective, caroline is a 33 pound two year old). nor did he really drink anything. tuesday morning, same thing, however now we've added the fact that he only peed once in around 18 hours to the mix. you guessed it...doctor says off to the er for some fluids.

luckily, we live in a city with one of the top children's hospitals in the country. it literally takes me 10 to 15 minutes to get there. it is one of the truly great trade-offs for being city dwellers (no backyard but exceptional medical care for my babies). we got to CHOP and they took us right away. my poor, lethargic baby was so good. right up until they had to stick a vein to draw blood and give him the iv. so sad and pathetic...poor little guy. however, after he had some fluids and a dose of tylenol (his fever spiked to 102 while we were there) he perked up considerably. the fever did come back through the night and he did throw up again, but he seems to be a little better today and the fever seems to much lower. yay for him!

the real question here now is...with five kids and a communion party (which is also a graduation party for my sister in law) on saturday for which i am doing all the food for about 175 people...how many of those five children will be sick and at the hospital by then? i'll keep you posted...

15 comments:

  1. Awww- poor little guy! Im glad he is doing better! Hopefully you & the rest of your family members are all immune to the virus- and it will skip over all of you! ... How amazing would that be!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh poor little guy :(

    and how in the world do you do food for 175 people????


    tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. EeEeekkkk...We had the stomach flu. I hate it. Pedialite saved the day. I am a super freak about dehydration. I am so sorry for you. Good luck with your party. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh sorry to hear that, how is he now? sad it was a bad timing for your birthday, we have the same birthday by the way, belated happy birthday! how can you enjoy it when you know your kid is not ok, i too had migraine during that day and only stayed at my room.

    anyway, i hope he is ok now and give my hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! I hope he gets well fast! And I hope the others (including you) stay healthy. Start drinking that Gatorade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear. Poor Dennis! (He's awfully darn cute, sick or not.) Glad to hear he's doing better, though - I'll send good thoughts your way in the hopes that no one else gets sick.

    Also, would you mind sharing your mother with me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor guy. I'm glad that he's doing better.

    Food for 175 people? Yikes. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor thing. I hope this nasty bug doesn't infect anyone else in your house. Glad Dennis is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor lil man! I hope he feels better soon, and doesn't get the rest of the kids sick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor little man.

    I hope he feels better soon.

    Good luck with all the food and potential sick kids this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! Poor guy. Glad you got him to CHOP. Take care and have a great party. Try to get a little you time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so sorry your little guy is sick...he's such a cutie....and Chop is great...I take my son there for his club foot....wonderful doctors...so your guy is definitely in great hands....

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi- you have an award over at our blog, stop by to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your a saint!!

    I would have called and canceled for the food. Taking a child to the ER is more than enough reason to say that you have to back out. Poor little guy needs his rest and some chocolate chip cookies.

    I have skinny ones too :-( I try my best to fatten them up. It's tough when schools say do not eat this or that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, boy, they never get sick at a good time, do they? Sending healty kid vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete